Simple, Healthe, Delicious.
If you have been following HealtheCo on Facebook you will have already realised that pancakes are one of my absolute favourite foods. Any why not? When made correctly they are versatile, healthe, delicious and can be eaten at anytime of the day!
I have been playing with buckwheat flour for a while now, trying to attain the perfect pancake consistency. Unfortunately there have been lots of occasions where perfection has alluded me. Luckily my husband and one year old (my ever faithful fans)?continue to devour them despite my?failings.
Pancake failings are somewhat in my blood -?My dad tells a story of my mum (who is the most amazing cook you have ever met) making pancakes that he nailed to the fence afterwards, fortunately, mum had perfected pancakes by the time she started teaching me to cook, and I can guarantee you won’t be nailing these babies to the fence.
Buckwheat is neither a cereal grain nor related to wheat. It is, in fact, a seed. It is gluten free, high in protein and packed full of other essential goodies. Pepitas or pumpkin seeds are packed with fiber, vitamins, minerals, and numerous health promoting antioxidants. Almond meal is a source of vitamin E, copper, magnesium and high quality protein.
- 145g milk (of your choice)
- 1/4 of a cup of buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup of ground almond meal
- 2 tablespoons of gentle fibre (Macro)
- Small handful of pepita’s
- 1/2 teaspoon of bicarb soda
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- Add all ingredients except the pepita’s to your Vitamix or high speed blender. Whiz until you have a creamy thick batter. I find that depending on the type of fibre you use, you may need to add more milk or flour to achieve the desired consistency. If you omit the apple cider vinegar your pancakes won’t rise.
- Heat a pan with coconut oil and pour the mix into the pan. I generally add around two tablespoon of mixture for adult size pancakes and 1 tablespoon for my son. Sprinkle a few pepitas on each pancake and cook until the bubbles on the pancake start to pop. Flip and cook on the other side until lightly browned.
- Place on a plate and serve with your favourite toppings.